What is the Hotmaps toolbox ?
Hotmaps is a GIS-based online software that will support authorities and energy planners to set up a strategic heating and cooling plan for their region. The tool will allow to analyse heating and cooling demand as well as efficient supply options on a local, regional and national level.
What will be the main features of the Hotmaps toolbox ?
The toolbox will allow the user to:
- identify the location of current heating and cooling demand as well as supply on a map for EU28;
- identify renewable energy potential to supply heating and cooling for a selected area;
- identify waste heat potential from industrial facilities within a selected area;
- estimate the potential for efficient district heating options within a selected area;
- estimate and compare the costs of individual heating vs. district heating options within a selected area;
- compare the results from local heating and cooling planning with national and regional de-carbonisation pathway.
Where is it hosted and developed ?
The software was developed by IT experts, energy system modellers and users – pilot areas and energy planners. It is available online!